Celebrate Healthy Kids Day® 2016 with the YMCA at Virginia Tech!
When: April 30, 2016
Time: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Cassell Coliseum and Dietrick Field
***This is a Rain or Shine Event. In the case of poor weather, all outdoor activities will be relocated inside the Cassell Coliseum.
Join our Facebook event page to stay connected: VT Healthy Kids Day® 2016
The YMCA at Virginia Tech invites families to join us in celebrating our third annual Healthy Kids Day®, as part of the Y’s national initiative to improve the health and well-being of kids.
Healthy Kids Day® is a free “summer kick-off” event comprised of live music, fitness games, inflatables, healthy snacks, crafts, and educational activities for families. Local organizations will also be promoting various summer programs/activities perfect for kids so that they can remain active throughout the summertime.
The event will be on April 30, from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm, at Virginia Tech’s Cassell Coliseum and Dietrick Field. All parents must check-in with our volunteers in the Cassell Coliseum lobby. Free parking is available on campus during the weekend. For campus maps and parking locations, view this quick guide from Virginia Tech Parking Services.
For more information, or if you are interested participating as a volunteer group or vendor, please call the YMCA Student Programs Office at (540) 231-3734 or email our student leadership team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all of our fantastic Healthy Kids Day® 2016 sponsors!
This event was made possible because of your generous contributions. We look forward to seeing everyone represented at HKD®!
Ferrum College Summer Enrichment Camp Camp Bethel
MedExpress Urgent Care Growing Up in the Valley
Virginia Tech Recreational Sports Camp Alta Mons
Cook Family Dentistry
YMCA Healthy Kids Day® 2016
“WOW…empower youth potential for a better us”
Research shows that when the school year ends, the physical and educational health of many children worsens. Kids are more likely to gain weight and fall behind academically over the summer than during the school year. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day focuses on health and education to ensure fewer children are at an increased risk for obesity and more children succeed in school. Health Kids Day is not just a single day of fun, active play and learning – it’s a kick off to helping parents get a jump on creating a healthier summer for their children.
Families can always do more to develop habits of good health, physical activity, and active learning. The YMCA of the USA offers the following tips to develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
To learn more about the national YMCA Healthy Kids Day initiative, we welcome you to visit http://www.ymca.net/healthy-kids-day.
For local information and resources, we welcome parents to explore these links:
Childhood Health & Education Statistics (searchable by location): Kids Count Data Center
Local Health and Wellness: New River Valley Livability Initiative
Local Summer Activities: Blacksburg Parks and Recreation
Local Summer Camps: Macaroni Kid’s New River Valley Summer Camp Guide