Celebrate Healthy Kids Day® 2019 with the YMCA at Virginia Tech!
When: April 30, 2019
Time: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Cassell Coliseum and Dietrick Field
***This is a Rain or Shine Event. In the case of poor weather, all outdoor activities will be relocated inside the Cassell Coliseum.
Join our Facebook event page to stay connected: VT Healthy Kids Day® 2019
Thank you to all of our fantastic Healthy Kids Day® 2018 sponsors!This event was made possible because of your generous contributions. We look forward to seeing everyone represented at HKD®!
Platinum Sponsors:Ferrum College Summer Enrichment Camp Camp Bethel MedExpress Urgent Care Growing Up in the Valley
Gold Sponsors:Virginia Tech Recreational Sports Camp Alta Mons
Cook Family Dentistry
Bronze Sponsors:OurHealth Southwest Virginia Downtown Blacksburg
YMCA Healthy Kids Day® 2019
“WOW…empower youth potential for a better us”
Research shows that when the school year ends, the physical and educational health of many children worsens. Kids are more likely to gain weight and fall behind academically over the summer than during the school year. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day focuses on health and education to ensure fewer children are at an increased risk for obesity and more children succeed in school. Health Kids Day is not just a single day of fun, active play and learning – it’s a kick off to helping parents get a jump on creating a healthier summer for their children.
Families can always do more to develop habits of good health, physical activity, and active learning. The YMCA of the USA offers the following tips to develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
To learn more about the national YMCA Healthy Kids Day initiative, we welcome you to visit http://www.ymca.net/healthy-kids-day.
For local information and resources, we welcome parents to explore these links:
Childhood Health & Education Statistics (searchable by location): Kids Count Data Center
Local Health and Wellness: New River Valley Livability Initiative
Local Summer Activities: Blacksburg Parks and Recreation
Local Summer Camps: Macaroni Kid’s New River Valley Summer Camp Guide