DONATE, VOLUNTEER, and LIVE SUSTAINABLY.
The YMCA at Virginia Tech coordinates YTOSS, one of the largest sustainability initiatives on campus. Each year, the program collects gently-used items from the dorms during the student move-out days. The items are then made available to incoming students during the fall move-in sale at Cassell Coliseum on Virginia Tech’s campus. ALL the profits support the YMCA Student Programs.
Since the first collection, with the help of our partners, sponsors and volunteers, YTOSS has:
- Diverted more than 100 tons of gently used household items from the waste stream
- Engaged over 1300 community volunteers
in service to students and families
- Generated over $60,000 to support student-led programs that nurture the potential of youth and teens, improve the health and well-being of individuals and families, and inspire social responsibility throughout the New River Valley.
- Contributed to Virginia Tech’s ranking as a Sliver member of the Association of the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education in 2008.
Ytoss Collection 2019 will be held on Virginia Tech’s campus Friday, May 10th - Wednesday, May 15th.
The 2019 Ytoss Sale will be held in Virginia Tech’s Cassell Coliseum on Wednesday, August 21st - Friday, August 23nd (the Wednesday and Thursday of campus move-in). Like the Ytoss event on Facebook to stay up to date, and call 540-961-9622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to get involved!
In order to succeed, Ytoss relies on the help of hundreds of dedicated volunteers each year. We thank all of you for your support! We ask that you continue to volunteer and contribute to this great initiative. Email out
LIVE SUSTAINABLY YEAR AROUND!
- *NEW* BIN Program: Y-toss is also sponsoring a new Residential Bin Collection Program. Bins are available throughout the year in various residence halls to collect any gently-used items. The items are then donated to the YMCA to help provide funding for various community and outreach programs!
- If you missed the Ytoss Sale – never fear! Stop by the YMCA Thrift Shop on 1000 N. Main St. in Blacksburg to find great deals throughout the year. The YMCA Thrift Shops in Blacksburg and Radford provide new life for tons of clothing, electronics, furniture, holiday items, and more – including the area’s largest selection of used books! We also recycle nearly 200 tons of batteries, broken electronics, and textiles for the community.
- Continue the cycle of volunteerism and sustainability by contributing to next year’s Ytoss! Volunteers and donors will receive coupons redeemable at the Ytoss Sale and the YMCA Thrift Shop.
YTOSS WOULD LIKE TO THANK OUR PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
Ytoss relies on generous donors and sponsors to help fund our collection and sale. For details on what it takes to put together this huge event, check out our annual report.
Thank you to our past donors and sponsors for your support!
Virginia Tech Office of Energy and Sustainability/Coca-Cola Inc
BCR Property Management
Ytoss Leadership Team Alumni
Southern VA Properties
Freedom First Credit Union
Student Centers & Activities at Virginia Tech
The Town of Blacksburg
Natural Awakenings Magazine
Virginia Tech Recreational Sports
VT Division of Student Affairs
Virginia Tech Fleet Services
Virginia Tech Facilities Services
University City Blvd. Kroger, Co.
Christiansburg Kroger, Co.
Draper Rd. 7-11, Inc.
Click here for details on 2015 sponsorship.
Want to become a sponsor, yourself? View our Sponsorship Packet!