WALK A MILE WITH US!
Pick a day this week to walk/run/bike/hop or skate our route or your favorite mile & share your video or pictures on our Facebook Page.
Share your pictures or videos of family healthy activities on our Social Media!
Check back soon for 2021
Healthy Kids Day® is a free “summer kick-off” event comprised of live music, fitness games, inflatables, healthy snacks, crafts, and educational activities for families. Local organizations will also be promoting various summer programs/activities perfect for kids so that they can remain active throughout the summertime.
- Free parking is available on campus during the weekend.
- For campus maps and parking locations, view this quick guide from Virginia Tech Parking Services.
For more information:
Please call the YMCA Administrative Office at (540) 961-9622 or email our student leadership team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YMCA Healthy Kids Day®
“WOW…empower youth potential for a better us”
Research shows that when the school year ends, the physical and educational health of many children worsens. Kids are more likely to gain weight and fall behind academically over the summer than during the school year. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day focuses on health and education to ensure fewer children are at an increased risk for obesity and more children succeed in school. Health Kids Day is not just a single day of fun, active play and learning – it’s a kick off to helping parents get a jump on creating a healthier summer for their children.
Families can always do more to develop habits of good health, physical activity, and active learning. The YMCA of the USA offers the following tips to develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
To learn more about the national YMCA Healthy Kids Day initiative, we welcome you to visit http://www.ymca.net/healthy-kids-day.
For local information and resources, we welcome parents to explore these links:
Childhood Health & Education Statistics (searchable by location): Kids Count Data Center
Local Health and Wellness: New River Valley Livability Initiative
Local Summer Activities: Blacksburg Parks and Recreation
Local Summer Camps: Macaroni Kid’s New River Valley Summer Camp Guide